- click images for full size splendor -

Translate

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

POST # 32 - "MUCKEY SPLEEN'S THE BLOODY DRIP" by Walt Kelly



I am back from the dead to bring you a humorous diversion by one of the greatest artist/cartoonists to ever put brush to paper.
Walt Kelly, the creator of POGO, is beloved by many. He happens to be one of my favorite artists, and is certainly a major influence on anyone who has ever attempted to draw a comic strip since the 50's.
As stated on one of my other blogs, Kelly's amazing and whimsical humor seems to flow directly out of his imagination right onto the page in a spontaneous stream of humorous thought, in a manner that few can hope to emulate.

Here, in a story taken from UNCLE POGO'S SO-SO STORIES, 1953, Kelly lambasts author Mickey Spillane and his famous creation, hard-boiled private detective Mike Hammer. As a child reading these, I had no idea who either of those names were, and it didn't make much difference to me. I laughed and found it quite funny regardless of my ignorance of the subject matter. As an adult with a bit more understanding, it is even funnier.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

here is...
MUCKEY SPLEEN'S 'THE BLOODY DRIP'!




















3 comments:

  1. I bathes my rickety salami before I lets mah goyl Olive Oyl swallows it~! Huck-uck-uck-uck-ucK~!

    But, seriously...

    Everytime I see Walt Kelly's work~ espECIALLY in black & white~ I says: 'Now, why can't I draw like dat ?!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lysdexicuss, ol bean, if more people could draw like Kelly, we'd have a whole lot less crappy comic strips, that fo' sho!

    Actually, if you look back at the real early POGO's (like the one on yer own bloog), Kelly's style was quite a bit different too! So, it took him a while before he could draw like Kelly, therefore it'll take us a bit longer.

    I knew if anyone would pick up on that salami subtext, it'd be you!
    "Th' trouble with warshin' yo' salami is, no matter how much you scrobs it, it still smell like salami!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The maturity displayed in this work is incredible. No exaggeration, the ability to have it displayed as so childish when in reality the humor is so deep.

    Cheers!

    Steven G. Willis
    XOWComics.com

    ReplyDelete