- click images for full size splendor -

Translate

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

POST # 42 - "THE MUMMY STALKS!" by Reed Crandall




Recently I was talking about artist Reed Crandall and how many werewolf stories he had done over the years. Searching through my database I happened to come across this classic tale by Crandall that features another character from the horror pantheon, that being mummy dearest.

I realize I showcased Reed Crandall  in just the past week or so, but I didn't think you'd mind seeing more from him. I believe that you just can't go wrong with a well done work by a master like Crandall.

This time, the duo of writer Archie Goodwin ( here joined by another artistic master Roy Krenkel, who probably provided the plot) and artist Reed Crandall draw our focus to the scene of some unexplained murders occuring in the shadowed halls of a dark and musty London museum, where one of Scotland Yard's best detectives is brought in to try and solve the mystery before the deranged culprit adds to the growing body count. He'd better be quick about it, because every time they turn around they stumble across another mangled victim.

Wait! Did you hear something? It sounds like some kind of muffled but deliberate footsteps, not unlike a shambling walking corpse, and they're getting closer and closer! For God's sake, stay alert! Your heart pounds faster, the sweat begins to bead upon your forehead, and the hair on the back of your neck stands up while you begin to shiver involuntarily, all the while you wonder where the maniac will strike next! Stay out of the shadows, and get ready, as...
THE MUMMY STALKS! 










_______________________



Ha! Fooled you! Did I neglect to tell you that Mummy was a werewolf?
Must have slipped my mind...terribly sorry, old chap!
Seems it turns out this was another of those famous Reed Crandall werewolf tales after all!


______________________

(originally published in EERIE # 5, 1966)


16 comments:

  1. Most American artists do a poor job of British bobbies' helmets, (not to mention bowler hats), but Reed Crandall really knew his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borky,
    I'm certainly no expert, but I would tend to agree - Crandall's work always seems to evoke the correct period or place, at least in my mind.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog and I really like it. I love black & white illustration. It's interesting that Crandall started this one out with gray toned artwork, and then switched to pen work...I've seen him do this before but usually there was some reason, like part of the story takes place in the present, part in the past. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this one though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gombuk,
      Thank you for the kind words about the blog! I love these artists and all of the art here and I am pleased that so many others also enjoy it! (I apologize for this delayed reply -- i have been away from the blog for a while!)...Please stop by often!

      Delete
  4. Reed Crandall Sr. was actually my great grandfather, and I have to say it's fantastic to see people still appreciate his work. I never got the pleasure of meeting him myself but he's influenced me quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, and it is fascinating that you have that family connection! Reed Crandall has been and will continue to be widely admired and respected for his great talent! He will be featured here prominently and often! All the best to you! (Sorry for the delayed reply -- I have been away for quite a long time!)

      Delete
  5. hola, saludos, pasaba a felicitarte por tu blog, es agradable y completo en informacion y gustos, sigue como hasta haora. Tambien pasaba para recomendarte mi blog:http://broshogun.blogspot.com/, pasa y visitalo. Y tambien seria todo un honor si tu me sigues en mi blog o en networkedblogs, aunque si puedes en los dos estaria genial. Bueno me voy, saludos, felicidades por el blog y nos vemos n_n

    hello, greetings, went to congratulate you on your blog, it's nice and complete information and preferences, continues as Howrah. Also going to recommend my blog: http://broshogun.blogspot.com/, passes and check it out. And it would be an honor if you follow me in my blog or NetworkedBlogs, but if you can in the two would be great. Well I'm going, greetings, congratulations on the blog and see n_n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan,
      Muchas Gracias! Me alegra que te guste el blog! (Lo siento se ha tardado tanto en contestar, estaba de viaje por un largo tiempo!).

      Delete
  6. Hi, I liked your blog and I personally invite you to join htttp://www.coollectors.com - The World's Free Collectors Zone.
    We will also be happy to cooperate with your blog such as adding its link to our site.
    All the best,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      Thank you! Sorry for the long delay...I have been away from the blog for a long time!

      Delete
  7. Bravo pour votre formidable blog! Il n'y a que des pépites! des raretés! (j'ai cru en reconnaitre certaines traduites en français dans les années 70...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! Je suis heureux que vous ayez apprécié le blog! (Désolé il a fallu si longtemps pour répondre -- J'ai été absent pendant un long moment !).

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! I love it. Simple and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Bill! Sorry for the delay...I've been away for a long while!

    ReplyDelete